February 22, 2009

And the winner is...

Now, having read all 5 books that were shortlisted in 2008 for the Giller Prize awarded for Canadian fiction, here is the order that I would rank them in...

Drumroll please...

1.  Through Black Spruce - Joseph Boyden
2.  Good to a Fault - Marina Endicott
3.  Barnacle Love - Anthony De Sa
4.  Cockroach - Rawi Hage
5.  The Boys in the Trees - Mary Swan

So I agree with the judges, who also chose Through Black Spruce as the top book of the year.  It was a brilliant book, and I have since purchased Boyden's first book, Three Day Road, and look forward to reading it - watch for future postings.  And the story and characters of Good to a Fault have stayed with me beyond the first reading - I will probably go back and re-read it in the future - the sign of a good book.

Interesting to note that two of the shortlisted books this year deal with the "Immigrant Experience".

And I am doing my very best to forget The Boys in the Trees.  It has not grown on me with time.

This year, I should try to read all of the books after the shortlist is compiled, before the winner is announced!

No comments: